Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My abs light is on and has been for 3 weeks, I was on the…

Customer Question
My abs light is...

My abs light is on and has been for 3 weeks, I was on the highway today and had no brakes at all, I had brake fluid but no brakes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the abs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 f150 4x4 super crew

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The mechanic on my job is going to replace the master cylinder today. he brought it to my job and pumped the brakes the entire way here and now it don't have fluid. he is just concerned because the abs light is on

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

The first concern should be where the brake fluid went. The braking system is a closed system and any fluid loss anywhere needs to be investigated first. If there are no external leaks, you should look around the area of the brake booster. Sometimes the rear seal of the master cylinder can leak and fill the booster with brake fluid. That would cause the symptoms you are seeing and the ABS light illumination.

Have you checked for any signs of fluid on the brake calipers, brake lines, etc?

no not yet he said he needs to figure out where it went to, it didn't lose fluid until he started pumping them

It has to have a leak somewhere in that case. If nothing shows up on the brake lines, calipers, etc, then the only other place it could go is inside the brake booster.

Please let me know if you need additional info.