Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1992 f150 4x4 5.0. My speedometer stopped working,

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a 1992 f150 4x4 5.0. My speedometer stopped working, and the odometer stopped working also. My transmission shift really hard now. I have replaced my vss on top of the rear axle, checked fuses, everything. Can you please help me with this problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes one inside the cab and one under the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I replaced the vss on top of the rear axle, checked fuses, traced wires to see if they are pinched or shorted.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The most common cause for the type of problem you are having with the speedometer and the odometer is in most cases caused by a failing Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM) which is the speedometer assembly/cluster assembly. Before you consider replacing it make sure the fuse #8 in the interior fuse panel has power in and out of it as that is the power source for it. The PSOM uses the AC signal from the Differential Speed Sensor in the rear axle to produce an AC square wave signal which it sends to the PCM for a VSS input for speedometer operation as well as the transmission shift points. The fix in most cases is to remove the cluster assembly and either have it rebuilt or replaced. If you looking for a place to repair the assembly I have enclosed a good source in the link below.

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

What if fuse # 8 doesn't have power in or out, what could be the problem then? I haven't checked it yet, I am at work, I was just wondering what to look for if fuse #8 doesn't have power in or out.

If fuse #8 dose not have power in and out of it then the PSOM will not have power and if that is the case then the problem is likely with the fuse panel. Having a problem with the fuse panel would be very rare as well . If the fuse is blown it will cause the PSOM to not read .

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.