Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a p0460 code on my 2001 explorer sprort. P0460 and I…

I have a p0460...

I have a p0460 code on my 2001 explorer sprort

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0460 and I reset it, I also replaced the fuel pump assembly but that did not fix the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ya I'm trying to fix it myself, just the fuel pump so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so

11/15/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Since pump didn't take care of problem the next most likely cause is wiring. Access the Yellow/White (YE/WH) wire at the fuel pump sending unit connection and check it for voltage with the ignition on coming from the instrument cluster. Ground the YE/WH wire and cycle the ignition switch off and back to the Run position. If the fuel gauge pegs empty, verify that the Black/Orange (BK/OG) wire at the pump connection is a good ground.If the fuel gauge continues to read past full after cycling the switch with the YE/WH wire grounded at the sending unit connection, inspect the C340 connector located under the driver seat are which houses the YE/WH and BK/OG wires, for a poor connection, corrosion, etc. If the C340 connection and harness are in good condition, pull the cluster forward and disconnect the anti-slosh module from the rear of the cluster. Ground the leg of the fuel gauge at the anti-slosh module connection and check for the gauge to peg empty when the ignition switch is turned on with the cluster plugged in to determine if the anti-slosh module or gauge is defective. Here is also information from manual for code, let me know if you have questions. Thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxbyndij7s33o5u/0460.pdf?dl=0​

You think this will rectify the problem?
I am not going to be able to test this until morning and wasn't expecting a quick response, will you be available in the morning if I have further questions?

I'll be available in the morning if you have questions so feel free to reply to this answer if you need anything, you can reply at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Cool, sounds great! Before I call it a night, will I need to remove the driver's seat to access the c340 connector?

You should be able to get it by moving seat all the way forward and/or from under vehicle.

Hi Dan, the ground and voltage is good at the pump connector, I located the c340 connector and it looks good also. It was in the frame rail under the seat, is there another connector under the seat as well or just a wire conduit? I'm getting ready to pull the cluster and check the anti-slosh and guage.

If power/ground are good then I agree problem is cluster or anti-slosh module. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

I removed the slosh/guage module, I'm not sure how or where to ground it like you previously mentioned.

If you can take a picture of it for me I can circle area to ground.

I don't have batteries for my camera for maybe a couple of hours, do you have any other suggestions in the mean time?

No, I'd continue with above testing to determine if problem is cluster or slosh module. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

What should happen when I ground the fuel gage to the to the anti-slosh connector?

You need to ground the leg on cluster, not the module. This bypasses the module so if it works then cluster is good leaving slosh module as problem. If it still doesnt' work then this would mean cluster is the problem.

I just blew 2 dash fuses, I will take a pic of the gas gage and have you tell me where to ground out
can you clarify how to test the slosh module? is the leg where I removed the slosh module or behind the fuel gage?
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The other tech opted out, can I help you?

I assume there is no additional fees for this?
I'm having trouble with my 2001 explorer sport. It still has code p0460 after I changed my fuel pump assembly and the cel light keeps coming back on. I only need it off to pass a damned emissions test. I hope you are able to help me out.
any suggestions Chris?
I have the instrument cluster pulled out and was trying to figure out on how to ground the anti-slosh module as the other technician instructed me but he left before I was informed how to do the test he recommended. The I went through his other steps which led to the instrument cluster being pulled but am at a stand still until further help.

There are no additional fees. Let me get this car I am working on knocked out and I will respond then, less than an hour.

Before I get started on doing my personal ways of testing this. Have you gone through and done the Ford way of testing this code shown in the link below?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdm79rnxvsk2pkj/HX.pdf?dl=0

Possible Causes

• Empty fuel tank
  • Fuel pump (FP) module stuck open
  • Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
  • Damaged instrument cluster
  • CASE GND circuit open
  • FLI shorted to VPWR
  • Damaged PCM
  • Overfilled fuel tank
  • Fuel pump (FP) module stuck closed
  • Damaged fuel gauge
  • FLI circuit open
  • FLI circuit shorted to CASE GND or PWR GND
  • CSE GND shorted to VPWR
I will go through the steps and let you know if I have questions. Thank you very much!

You are welcome and thanks for rating my response once you do so.

What should the voltage be on the wire at the fuel pump connector? I get 11.7 volts, does this sound right?

Can you be a little more clear, which wire at the fuel pump are you asking about or which test number are you on?

Where and how do I measure FIL V pid (reading between 1.23 and 2.25 volts?

You do that reading with a diagnostic tool, it reads PIDS.

The Yellow/White wire to the PCM pin 12 is this reading. It should be about 1.7 DC volts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhf8ue7pesbpfl6/pin12.pdf?dl=0

Hi Moose, I repaired the P04060 code. I found a broken ground wire at the fire wall behind the pcm wire harness strap that came from the wires from the pcm, at the same time I picked up another anti-slosh module from the salvage yard and stuck it in the rear of the cluster. I'm not sure whether it was the ground wire or the anti-slosh module that fixed it. For my own reference, are you able to tell me what the 2 individual ground wires that came from the pcm wire harness to the fire wall control (about 4 inches to the right of the pcm)? I am just curious as to what repaired my problem between the 2 procedures that I have done. Also, all emissions monitors are ready except for the evap monitor, do you have any tips how to get this monitor ready for my e-test? Thank you very much for your help!

On the EVAP concern, the website only allows us to help on the original question. New concerns must go on a new question asked or I will get in trouble.

The grounds to the PCM there are no diagrams that state what they are for other than PCM grounds.

Glad you got the fuel gauge issue resolved.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician