Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My E250 cranks but won't start. Goodyear replaced the ECM…

Customer Question
My E250 cranks but...

My E250 cranks but won't start. Goodyear replaced the ECM relay but it started the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

193,000. yes it has been starting normally for 2 days.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your E250?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Goodyear fixed it the first time. they replaced the ecm relay and the battery. has good battery power. About a month ago, I had coil #5 replaced and all plugs and wires. I just replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter before goodyear worked on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If this is OK then check that the injectors are bing operated by the ECU, its hard to hear them ‘clicking’ with back ground noise so if you use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly
If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.
You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulator

Could also be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you