Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car runs well, engine purrs, so don't think it's an engine…

Customer Question
Car runs well, engine...

Car runs well, engine purrs, so don't think it's an engine efficiency issue. Odometer typically always showed approximately 390-410 miles to empty when gas tank was filled up. All of a sudden, it only shows 290 or so to empty when filled up. Concerned this will affect 1)resale if odometer inaccurate. 2)scheduled services will become "late/overdue". Any ideas what issue may be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts same as ususal. No vehicle issues. Just lowering of "distance to empty" reading at fillup. almost like float or something may be stuck.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2006 fusion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Crawled under car and tapped on gas tank in case float was stuck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Have you done an actual mpg reading with a calculator based on the fuel amount added and distance travelled?

When refiled when at or near empty, how many gallon doe it need to fill up?

No, I have not. 17 gallons.

Will yours also register current MPG?

Have you done any inspections, repairs, maintenance that would go towards better fuel economy?

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris