Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

If y f-150 cranks but won't stay running could it be the…

Customer Question
If y f-150 cranks but...
If y f-150 cranks but won't stay running could it be the regulator? It will start but when I pump the foot feed gas pedal it's not getting gas. I changed the fuel filter and the sensor still won't stay running.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

Did you check the fuel pressure from the pump?

Also when I changed the filter it leaked out a black greasy substance.
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

There is a possibility of contamination in the gas tank. If will recommend to take sample of gasoline out from the fuel filter inlet hose from fuel pump. If contaminated can affect the fuel pressure specially at high acceleration

Okay thank you. How do I locate the fuel filter inlet hose from the fuel pump to get a sample of the gas and then where do I take the sample to know if in fact it is contaminated?
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

It is the hose that goes to the fuel filter. Disconnect the hose, put the end in a clear container and turn on the ignition for a couple of seconds to get sample of gasoline from tank.

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

The fuel pressure on this vehicle is regulated by the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pump driver module. This vehicle ois not equipped witha fuel pressure regulator.

Okay I've replaced the sensor. So where is the module located and what would the symptoms be if the module were going bad?
I am unable to get anything to come out of the tank from the fuel inlet hose. Nothing comes out with it off
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

If nothing comes out of fuel filter inlet, need to check fuel pump.

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 5 months ago

Hello, just checking if any updates?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician