Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I want to check and change out the transmission fluid.in a…

I want to check...

I want to check and change out the transmission fluid.in a 98 Escort manual transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?

Inspecting, read manual, DIY

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The VSS sensor is not present as the manual says, just a plug in the hole

11/13/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Where on the transmission are you looking for the VSS?

On top, as the manual says, I have a service manual pdf

HI,

Did you remove the air cleaner intake tube and housing?

Is this a regular Escort or Escort ZX2?

There are two bolts on the front side wall. One internet link said to remove and fill to the lip. the manual indicates one of those holds a detent spring/ball. Which is which?
No parts have been removed yet It is a 98 Escort wagon, a fairly late production bought late 98 new. I have an inspection camera, the VSS is not there.

HI,

Ok, this may be a 99 then. If so, the transmission speed sensor is located underneath the battery tray.

If I can get the 17 digit vin number, I can verify

VIN is 3FAFP15P7WR235849.

HI,

Ok, by the vin number, it is underneath the battery tray. remove the air cleaner tube, battery and then battery tray to access it

Is it similar and need to be removed as earlier models and prone to break to just refill the fluid?

HI,

Yes, it needs to be removed to fill the fluid. I have not had many issues with this one breaking, but I spray them with PB Blast first and use a gentle side to side twisting motion as I pull it out of its housing hole.

OK, thank you. that gives me steps to take. I'll work on it later this week. today is busy with other stuff. That internet reference to bolts on the front wall of the transmission is wrong?

HI,

yes, those references are incorrect. Removing any of those will result in having to pull the transmission and teardown as there are detent springs and balls in all of them and cannot be reinstalled without tearing down the transmission

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
OK, thank you, ***** ***** The vehicle has had excellent reliability, just tires, brakes, battery, stuff. So it is worth working on. 5 stars :)
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager