Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 the key was lost and I have a…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 the key was lost and I have a backup key that is just a solid silver key that will go in the ignition and turn it over but will not start can you tell me what I need to do and I do appreciate this

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

No I believe it's the original key it's an 1196fd h75 ilco USA

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 that I lost the key and the alarm for and I found looks like the original key which is got letters on it 1196fd h75 ILco USA but this key is just a solid silver key it goes into the ignition and it opens the doors and the car turns over but will not start can you help

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes at this point I do not know where the other key is and the little alarm block that was separate from the key and would also like to know if there's a way that I can have that taken off after getting this one going thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
11/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 9 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is just a valet key, it does not have the radio chip in it, to start it, you need a key that has the radio chip in it, is this the only key you have now?

Tim it is and the key I have now does not have a chip but it does turn the steering wheel
the car turns over and opens the doors with this key but will not start
Are you there

ok, then yoy will need to get a new radio chip key and have it cut to the valet key, the dealer can do this, but we use mobile locksmiths to come out to the car, recut the new key and program the key into the computer,

Is there not another way to get by the Anti-Theft

No, if the computer does not see the radio signal from the key, it will not allow it to start, the locksmths are alot cheaper than the dealer our local locksmith charges 70 dollars to come out and do this, the dealer is over 200 dollars and you have to tow it to them, but until it sees a signal from the key, it WILL NOT start.Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim

Is there a reason you wont rate me?? I do not get paid unless you do?

I guess you were just looking for a free answer, good luck in the future,Tim