Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 f150 5.4 3 valve New timing chain guides tensioners…

Customer Question
2004 f150 5.4 3 valve New...
2004 f150 5.4 3 valve
New timing chain guides tensioners gear phasers bet solenoids 20k miles ago
Has developed a tap/rap that is constant. Worse when oil gets to operating temp. Pulled down to timing chain and found two broke guides. Replaced guides and still no change. Tire it back down and replaced tensioners chains gear and all guides AGAIN. Still has noise. Checked all cam followers for a failed roller and all were good. Tappers att pumped up good as well.
Pulled oil pan and found shavings off of timing cover. When you turn the engine over with a breaker bar it will get to a point where there is slack in both chains but keep turning and it tightens up.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Using a listening device like a stethoscope. Can you distinguish where the noise seems to be emitting from?

What grade oil are you running?

5w20 synthetic
I’ve been all over it with a stethoscope
And I had originally thought it was driver side bank on the front
The more I listened it seemed it may be lower than that
The crank position relucter ring is pretty chewed up on the back sides as well
That’s what sent me in direction of possible chain slap

Thanks, ***** ***** in your case the concern is going to be a faulty crankshaft thrust washer allowing the crank to move in and out laterally or one of the chain tensioners is bad or not getting enough oil pressure to keep the chain tight. Is it still apart so you can push and pull on the crank gear to see if its moving in and out and was the tensioner, the part that pushes on the tensioner arm replaced?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

as stated originally both tensioners were replaced along with the tensioner guide. It’s still apart so I’ll check crank thrust and get back to you

Thanks

No thrust play on the crankshaft

The only thing I can see left to blame for your chains flopping loose and rubbing parts. Is to blame on oil pressure not adequate or ports that feed oil to the timing components clogged and restricted. Have you done a oil pressure test at the block and at the heads when this noise is occurring?

No I haven’t
Did replace the pump with all the timing but with an aftermarket pump

Just a heads up, most techs techs at this point just replace the engine after doing the inspections and repairs you have done. So that tells you, the issue you have to address after finally finding the cause is a tough one. Time involved is why most replace the engine. Checking the oil pressure in the above mentioned locations is the next step then removing and disassembling the engine to clean the oil ports is needed if the pressure is good.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris