Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My liftgate will not open, and now my hazards are on even…

Customer Question
My liftgate will not...

My liftgate will not open, and now my hazards are on even though the car is off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2015 ford explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure what to do...turned car on and off..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think it is something with the liftgate

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you tried checking the fuses for these components? For the liftgate, you need to inspect fuses #'s 9 and 25 in the inside fuse box, and # 7 in the underhood fuse box. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits along with the fuse location information.

As for the hazard flashing also, this leads me to believe that the cause for both of your issues lie in the BCM(passenger compartment fuse box). This component controls the exterior light and the liftgate also. If this component is beginning to fail, the you experience these issues and more. Here, I am providing the electrical information for the hazards along with the description and operation of the BCM.

Here, I am providing the functioning of the liftgate along with diagnostic information.

What you will need to do is have the vehicle scanned for code and the BCM inspected for faults. The codes provided by the vehicle will direct you to the area of concern. In order to determine the cause, testing will need to be done. Scanning the vehicle is absolutely necessary. As of now, it sounds like you have an issue with the BCM and it may need to be replaced.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

I am going to have to take it to a mechanic...please cancel my subscription.
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician