Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Confused on whether water pump or thermostat. 2013 Ford F150

Hello. Confused on...
Hello. Confused on whether water pump or thermostat. 2013 Ford F150 5.0. A couple days ago, noticed low on coolant, not noticing any leaks. Been adding coolant, now I noticed dripping only when vehicle is running and dripping down on skid plate. Would a thermostat cause a leak? Or is this a sure sign of a water pump failure?
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: The hoses are only 4 years old and all coolant has been the 50/50 mixes.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Actually just trying to find leaks, as just noticed them. Truck has been running up to 20 minutes and not overheating. Yesterday, the truck was overheating badly when driving. I would pull over for 5 minutes and the temperature would drop, but then when started driving again, it would overheat again. Yes, I am working on the truck myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem started out as intermittent cold and hot air coming into cab after 15 minutes of driving. and now it is only blowing cold air.
11/12/2017
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Roy.

good morning

yes it could be leaking from the thermostat housing but also it could be leaking from many other areas as well. a pressure test will reveal where the leak is coming from. you can rent a pressure tester at a parts store to find the leak.

my concern is this. the fact it has overheated more than one time may have damaged a head gasket. that would compound the issue. you need to have this checked to be sure there is no damage. a leak down test will confirm. that is a test where they remove all plugs and insert shop air into the cylinder and watch for the coolant to move in the radiator.

your welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. we will have this checked out. thank you Roy and hope it is not too major.

your welcome

I hope so as well

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

thank you

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest