Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I lost key to my spot trac and cant figger out how to turn…

Customer Question
I lost key to...

I lost key to my spot trac and cant figger out how to turn off the anti theft

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I put new barrel in already

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 sport trac

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and i very carfully put new key ignition in. no damage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma'am just how to turn anti theft off so i can get to work. thought door code would do it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
11/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Im assuming that you replaced the lock cylinder and key rather than having a key made by a locksmith or dealer. If you're using a key that was not programmed then you won't be able to start the engine. For the engine to start you have to use a functional transponder key that has been programmed to the powertrain control module.

If you're using a plain key it's not the correct one for the vehicle, you'll need a transponder key and have it programmed.

If you have a transponder key but it has not been programmed then it will need to be programmed.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

How can I get it programed cheap? An car is at my house.

Any dealer would be able to program it, some locksmiths will have the ability to do so and would usually be able to come to where the vehicle is. You can try calling locksmiths in your area and see if any have the capability.

This is a no star, and putting it on all my social media! No help! And absolutely not Timely!!

I don't follow?