Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It’s a 2005 e450 superduty and it turns over without issue…

Customer Question
It’s a 2005 e450...

It’s a 2005 e450 superduty and it turns over without issue but we have a issue with it starting but it’s not constant

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes batteries have even been replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Ford?

Yes 05

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced alternators icp and ipr

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed the oil and air filter

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Any codes stored?

Is this a engine cold or hot issue?

What is the ICP pressure when it will crank but not start?

No codes at this time runs fine after it cranks just doesn’t always crank and seems to crank more frequent when cold
I do not have a computer at this time we have to have someone hook up so I don’t know the icp pressure
When it was hooked up it showed the alternators failing so we replaced both

Since you do not have the tools needed to diagnose are you fine with my answer being " most likely, can be, sounds like" I am not bale to say replace X or Y to solve this if we can not diagnose together.

I am fine with that

A cold start concern on the 6.0 is normally caused by more than one glow plug not working. A high pressure oil system leak internal inside the engine. Quite often we find leaks between the heads and high pressure pump at the STC fittings on the pipes. The ICP needs to see 500 psi minimum or the FICM will not command the injectors to spray fuel.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Would any of these also let it run fine once it starts with no performance issues? Example I know once an ipr goes out it will not crank.
We have replaced the icp but it wouldn’t be the first time we have received a part that fails

Yes, a high pressure oil leak can allow an engine to run fine at operating temp.

Should we test the pressure of the low and high pressure before having the high pressure oil pump changed?
cant the pressure on both be tested to confirm failure before just replacing?

I would not change any parts till you diagnose and verify what is wrong. That is like playing the slot machines with 100$ bills.

If the ICP is 500 psi or above when it will crank not start then this is not the issue.

Also does it make sense that cold crank is easier with a high pressure oil leak? So if it sits for hours it’s generally cranks fine but if it is hot and you shut it off it will most always fail to crank
Not trying to sound stupid but to ensure I am following the only way to check the icp pressure is with a computer correct?

ICP pressure can only be checked with a scan tool.

Okay thank you what I thought. Also another question thinking on the glow plug side would it make sense for it to be the glow plugs when it cranks better cold? Shouldn’t that be reverse?

I asked" Is this a engine cold or hot issue? "

You said "seems to crank more frequent when cold"

Are you now saying it cranks fine when cold and starts fine and when hot it cranks to long before starting?

High pressure oil pressure can affect both. Glow plugs are not to blame if the concern is on hot restart.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris