Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 ford ranger and my voltage gauge spikes while…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 ford ranger and my voltage gauge spikes while I am driving but drops to normal at idle. I have replaced the alternator and battery. What else could cause this issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

208,000 6 cylinder 4.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I tested the alternator and it was putting out 18 volt so I changed it out and its still doing the same thing. I put a new battery in too but that didn't help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What is the battery voltage at idle?

In park at 3000 roms what is teh battery voltage?

Key on engine off what is the voltage reading at each wire color on the alternator?

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris