Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

There is no fire to coil and I've already replaced module.

Customer Question
There is no fire...

There is no fire to coil and I've already replaced module

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1987 f150 4.9 six

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes! replaced coil and module

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/12/2017
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can prevent spark and it would require some electrical testing to determine exactly what is going on. The problem may be wring or even the distributor not turning due to a mechanical failure, but there is a good chance you have a bad pickup plate in the distributor. This is the sensor that reports distributor position and sends a signal to the ignition module and PCM, and is needed for spark. If it's signal is not present then you will have no spark and the tach will not move when cranking. If the tach doesn't move and you do have fuel then there is a very good chance you have a bad pickup plate.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.