Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2013 f150 will not start. and the key faubs will not

Customer Question
My 2013 f150 will...

My 2013 f150 will not start. and the key faubs will not unlock or lock the truck. radio and lights all work

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Head lights, radio, intererior lights dashboard and touch screen

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to jump start it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good morning, I hope you are doing great. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with this.It sounds like a battery or key fob issue. Has the battery been tested recently?
Battery is fine. Key faub are not responding

Alright that is good. Since the battery is good, there are two things that can cause this, either both faubs are dead, which is not too likely, or the responder module in the truck has stopped receiving signal. The signal is received and processed by a satellite module in the truck, if something happens to the module then the faubs will be inoperable as the truck does not see their signal.

Do you have a scantool that can check if the system has any trouble codes set?

No
Truck is out in countey

Okay, unfortunately without any codes or without being there this will be alittle hard for me to diagnose, so I am going to opt out and open it up to a new expert. Good luck!

No error codes
Ford Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

We have unhooked battery, tried to jump the truck, and by pass the ignition to start it. Key faub batteries are fine, they just won't communicate with the truck. The truck is not showing any problem codes.

What do you mean by 'bypass ignition'?

Bridging the starter cylinoid. It would crank but not start.

It's not going to start that way for sure.

What happens when turning the key to the crank position?

Nothing. All electronics work but nothing when turning the key. Something like System start failure appears on display.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

I don't know.

CAn you check?

I am not sure. If it is on or mot

Have you checked fuses?

Yrs

You're at the point where a scan tool is going to be needed to proceed with diagnostics.