Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Accidentally crossed jumper cables on my 2006 Ford

Customer Question
Accidentally crossed jumper cables...

Accidentally crossed jumper cables on my 2006 Ford Expedition. Car will not crank, battery was two days old. Which fuses or relays were most likely to have blown or gone bad? I could check these myself not sure about checking a fusible link.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

125,000 it had been cranking and running perfectly before I screwed up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tested relay #1 for the starter motor solenoid, it was good. Tested relay 203 for the PCM, it was bad. Now I am thinking I need to test numerous relays and pull the fuses out to instead of just looking at the ends for signs of a short.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just looking for most likely things short with crossed jumper cables.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Thank you Sir

Hey how are you ,I will try to help you with this

we need to check all fuses in the central junction box first ,use a test light do go across them or pull them out and check Visually but test light more accurate

but tell me is it still cranking over , or nothing when switch turn on or start position ?

is there any interior lights dash light when switched turned or nothing

when switched is turned on does the check engine light comes on and goes away in few seconds

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

The engine does not turn over and the solenoid does not click.
The interior lights and radio work dimly but there is nothing lit up on the dash.
The Service Engine light is not showing, nothing is on the dash.
Could I have totally killed that new battery, I haven't checked it yet. The negative clamp would just barely tighten enough to not twist...I was going to replace that.
Battery info was based on buying a new battery at Auto Zone two days ago. The guy could not change a cable end.
Is there a main fuse located somewhere other than the fuse panel or does the vehicle just rely on fusible links?

yes you could have , especially if we talking dim

take it out and test it ,and hopefully that is what happened

and you did nit burn the pcm ,car computer

yes there is a passenger side fuse box ,did you check there

Of course, I just wanted to make sure there is no Main Power Fuse for all power that is located somewhere other than the fuse panel on the right front just above the floor board.

no

get battery checked and check the cables all the way down to starter

also check the bottom of fuse box if you found evidence of burned socket in the fuse box

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Okay I'm leaving computer to go check the battery and all fuses & relays. My intent with this question was to determine if an experienced Ford Mechanic could tell me if there were any "most likely to be shorted out" fuses or relays that are shorted out when you cross jumper cables.

the pcm relay will be the first one and all fusible links , but my hope the battery go shorted out and it did not get to them

the pcm relay being burned is nit a good sign

i m sorry not one specific answer on this ,since we had a short here

hope that helps

Thank you

you welcome ,

One relay was blown, R203 the PCM for solenoids and sensors. Replaced car and all the equpment works fine. I hope this gives someone else a starting point.

I will opt out of your question and open it for other expert to assist you on it

Please do not reply back to me since it will lock the question back to me and other expert want see it to assist you further

Ford Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

do you still need assistance?

cam