Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The 4X4 High light is flashing on my 2003 Ford Explorer, and…

Customer Question
The 4X4 High light...

The 4X4 High light is flashing on my 2003 Ford Explorer, and I don't seem to have any***** Is there a fix for this without taking to a dealship?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

4x4 high blinks when the car starts, and then blinks every couple of minutes when I am driving it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

My husband is wanting to fix it himself if possible. And he has no idea if she should change the 4x4 module or what.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

I would not replace the module without diagnosis. The price of the module is more expensive then the diagnostic charge. He can perform the repair depending what the diagnosis is. There are to many failures that can cause the lights to flash, to guess at the failure. The 4x4 module will need to have the codes retrieved to identify what part of the system is at fault. It could be the module, transfer case motor, contact plate, speed sensors or any related wiring to these components.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.