Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trying to change the dipstick tube on a 2003 f250 gas engine…

Customer Question
Trying to change the...

Trying to change the dipstick tube on a 2003 f250 gas engine it is broke where it goes through the exhaust manifold. know any tricks?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Soaking it in wd-40 pulling it with vise grips tapping the tube with a punch

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
11/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I have read your notes, they can be a *)% at best of times , but when they get age on them they are a chore. I know a lot of people like wd40 but I'm not a fan of it to loosen things up that are really tight so I tend to stick with a good penetrating oil that is specific for that job, let it soak overnight and use the vise grips and wiggle back and forth. Now if that does not work and if your careful , use the heat and quench technique, this usually works when all others fail. This is where you heat the area around the tube and immediately quench it with cold water, do that about 4-5 times then wiggle with penetrate, Try these as they have worked for me.Let me know how you make out.

thank you

let me know how you make out, and please take the time to rate my service as we don't get credit if you don't . Thank you.