Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 ford 5.4 f150 cold hard start. runs fine when warm. Sea…

Customer Question
2010 ford 5.4 f150...

2010 ford 5.4 f150 cold hard start. runs fine when warm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sea foam for gas . half tank premium gas. Only been doing it for about three days.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pulled battery cables and cleaned posts. Does that screw with the security system?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

Does the truck currently have the check engine light displayed? And if so, have you checked the codes?

no

When was the last oil change performed? The timing system on these can cause cold start issues on these due to the timing solenoids not getting proper oil pressure when first starting. I would recommend inspecting the oil level/condition, and if that is good there are a few cold start tests we can perform. Let me know what the oil looks like when you have a chance to check it

Changed the oil about a week ago actually. Just checked it and it is clean and full.

Okay that is good to know. Does it sound rough or like it is trying to breathe when it has a hard time starting? Another common issue for this concern on these models is the EGR valve, when it is cold it will stick closed and not allow proper exhaust circulation

rough trying to breath smokes alot like it is flooding. Have to hold gas pedal all the way done to get it started.

Interesting, I almost wonder if we may have a regulator issue. If the fuel pressure regulator gets stuck it will have a hard time getting started, but if you are holding the pedal down and it starts that means it is going full power and bypassing the regulator, normally this would set a check engine light though, it may not have set it yet since it is a new problem

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician