Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ron, I have a 2000 lincoln ls. with a V-8. It will almost…

Customer Question
Hello Ron, I...

Hello Ron, I have a 2000 lincoln ls. with a V-8. It will almost start for a half a second and die out. what do you think the problem might be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yeah i go to start it and it acts like it wants to start but won't. It will speed up as i'm turning the key and then die out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I havent really tried anything, was wondering which way to go on this. was thinking maybe an electronic module maybe?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Just to be clear, the car doesn't actually start to the point that you could let off the key and the engine will run on it's own for a few seconds?

No, it doesnt actually start. the starter will turn faster to where i will let off the key then go down to nothing. as if there is no fire.

Ok

I think I would start by trying to spray some starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it will fire on that. If it does, then you are looking at a fuel issue of some sort. If not, then it's probably more like a cam or crank sensor issue. This will prevent fuel injector pulse and spark.

So, lets try the starting fluid and see if anything happens first. Then take it from there. If it does fire, then we may need to check the fuel pressure, but we do have to approach this one step at a time.

Give it a try and let me know.

Thanks.

I was wondering if you need more help or if you tried the test I suggested or not?