Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My wife's 2006 Ford Escape XLT V6 went into to limp mode.

Customer Question
My wife's 2006 Ford...

My wife's 2006 Ford Escape XLT V6 went into to limp mode. Earlier she said the overdrive light was flashing and could not turn off. She went to lunch and her vehicle would not get out of 3rd gear. So I assume it is in limp mode.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?

I think it was flashing but not 100%. I just no it would not cut off by pushing the button. She did say on the way to lunch when it was only allowing 3rd gear that it was off. I don't have a code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will tyr to help you with this issue

We need to have it scanned with factory or equivalent scanner to retrieve fault codes and be accurate and based on these fault code we can retrieve fault codes and pull up a pin point troubleshoot and be accurate and not guessing , the fact it is in the 3rd gear that is the default gear for limp mode, but it could for several reasons, but the fact the overdrive is flashing , tells me we have tcm module issue, shift solenoid issue , trans fluid level, sensor , etc,

now with that said, the TCC ,torque clutch converter solenoid are common on these vehicle for a flashing o/d light and is located in the valve body and will be a P702 P740 fault codes but testing is needed to be accurate

now if you want to reset it manually for now and see if it comes out of limp mode you can try with the below procedure

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat