Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Changed out alternator, replaced it with A KNOWN FUNCTIONG

alt and it now is...
changed out alternator, replaced it with A KNOWN FUNCTIONG alt and it now is only putting out 12.4 volts testing results says bad volt regulator. whats could be taking out volt regulators
JA: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?
Customer: battery tested good, only cliking was stater when battery was low before charging
JA: What is the model of your '12 Ford?
Customer: ford e-250 with 5.4 triton
JA: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. replaced the alt and charged the battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/10/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What year is your E 250 please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2001

Before you condemn the replacement alter there are a few checks to make, are you able to do this if I help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but iam not at the location of the van, but I can aknowledge your instructions.

Okay what I want you to do when your back at the van is to take your volt meter and with the engine running check to see if you have battery voltage at the alternator connector on the Black/orange wire as well as the Orange/Blue wire and the Green/Red wire. Check these for me and post back with the results and I will advise from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok , was at O reilys yesterday and they tested system, was only putting out 12.4 volts they said the volt regulator was bad.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is the same problem before changing the old alt,

If any of the wires I have mentioned do not have power to them, the alternator will not charge. Lets check all three to see if one or more has no power before you replace anymore parts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, will be while before I can get back to you

Im here all day as well as tomorrow as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you

Your very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found a loose connection inside the alternator plug. replaced the plug and everything works. alt is putting out 14.3 volts. Thank you again for your expertise. Bill

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you very much as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician