Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The focus starts sometimes but other times it won’t start.

Customer Question
The focus starts sometimes...

The focus starts sometimes but other times it won’t start. The battery has been tested. AAA came yesterday and all of a sudden it started without them doing anything but now once again it won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery was fine and connections fine according to aaa.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Focus?

The radio and lights and all of that come on when I try to start the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

No/ 2005. There has been a hesitation when starting the car for a few weeks. Pep boys found nothing about 3 weeks ago but then yesterday I had AAA come and now I went to a mechanic this morning who said based on my description of the problem to take it to a dealer but now I’m in that mechanics parking lot and the car won’t start again

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

What is it doing when you try to start it.

Single click noise or rapid clicks?
No clicks at all?

No clicks

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Automatic

Ok

Usually when you don't get any sounds at all when you are trying to start it, it's because the transmission range sensor is failing. Basically speaking the computer doesn't know the car is in park, so it won't attempt to start.

Try shifting the car into neutral and starting it to see if it starts, if not, put it back into park and try again. If it still won't start, then the switch on the transmission will need to be tested or adjusted.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Can a ford dealership test the transmission

Yes, they can check the range switch for you. I need to be clear, this is just a part on the outside of the transmission and not a problem with the actual transmission in your car. Just a switch is all. Most shops could likely check this out for you, the dealer isn't required for this.

I made an appointment this morning and the mechanic wouldn’t look at it suggested I take it to the dealer.

I see, it could be more then he can do, so I would say it does sound like you will need the dealer. I can't be 100% sure it's the problem, but in most cases it is. The computer simply doesn't know the car is actually in park so it won't supply any power to the starter.

What’s the easiest way to make an appointment with a dealer it looks like I might need to have it towed to a dealer

I usually call the service department and set up an appointment. If it's got to be towed, let them know and you can either have it towed to them and they can get it in when they can, or you can discuss getting it towed on the day of your appointment. I am sure the service department will be happy to help. Most of the time when it's a tow in they just need to know it's coming and they will get it in.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician