Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2000 ford excursion start having idle surges and od light…

Customer Question
My 2000 ford excursion...

My 2000 ford excursion start having idle surges and od light starts flashing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Overdrive light keeps blinking and idle goes up and down

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed speed output sensors in trany and diff

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tightened lose ground cable on battery terminal and that fixed the problem temporarily. i was able to drive around without andy problems for a few days

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Is this a gas or diesel engine?

Will it surge and flash the light in park or neutral or only in gear?

Was there any codes?

Does the surge feel like the engine is misfiring?

6.8 v10
4x4

Was there any codes?

Idles high then low when i put it in drive
Soeed sensor codes
Speed sensor
Replaced speed output sensors on trany and diff
I tightened a lose battery cable and it stopped doing it. Drove it for a while then ot slowly came back

I've had several excursions with this symptom and codes, Usually caused by a failing ignition coil inducing RF into the torque converter control circuit which causes the converter to partially lock up in gear at idle causing the surge and light to flash. Usually you can disconnect the main transmission bulkhead connector and put it in gear and see if the surging stops.

Were the codes for turbine speed sensor or output shaft sensor?

Output shaft
Thanks, ***** ***** that

I would have the coils stress tested, usually only a dealer can stress test the coils, Either that or you can change them out one at a time and see which one causes the concern to stop. I know of no other way to determine which coil is at fault.

Is the connector in fuse box or on tranny

The large connector on the passenger side rear of the transmission.

Thanks

Your welcome

Pulled bulkhead connector, has transmission fluid in harness, is that common
No surging with it off
One is a falt and the other is no signal

Yes trans fluid in harness pretty common. You have to eliminate the coils as the problem. I would have the coils stress tested, usually only a dealer can stress test the coils, Either that or you can get one new one and change them out one at a time and see which one causes the concern to stop. I know of no other way to determine which coil is at fault.

Did you need any further assistance?