Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My heater doesn’t do anything blow air hot or cold I’m not…

Customer Question
My heater doesn’t do...

My heater doesn’t do anything blow air hot or cold I’m not getting any power to the blower motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

Yes they are full the heater core hoses are getting warm

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2003 Expedition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I’m tring i was told it was the blower motor that wasn’t it then i come to find out it’s not getting power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just lead me in the right direction

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
I checked all the fuses the relays in the fuse box is good but I had seen a video that a guy said their 2 relays up under the dash. I’m not getting no power
i tested the blower motor resistor also
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago

that sue panel is on the passenger side behind the kick panel. just making sure you know that.

fuse*

hows it going?

i jumped it and for the first time i heard the actuator the door open and closing then it stoped. I wasn’t getting nothing before but that was it. The blower still isn’t working the engine is kicking up and down when i turn on and off the heat.

you jumped the blower motor relay and an actuator moved?

i heard something opened and closing when i turned on the heater

ok standby please

if you jumped 30 to 87 on the correct relay, the only thing that should have happened is the blower motor turn on

It was the sound coming from the heater for the first time I don’t think it was the blower motor sounded like a door was open and close and I was leaning over this seat to turn on the ignition It sounded like a door was open and closing

by jumping that relay you were putting 12 volts directly to the blower motor. nothing else.. check slot 30 for 12 volts

Ok what do i do To jump the blower motor that confuses me.

you take the blower motor relay out. the slots for the prongs should be numbered 30,87,86,85 let me know if they are

I still have the jumper in the relay spot. Should i put the relay back in

pull the jumper out and with your volt meter, check for 12c volts dc in slot 30

I’m only getting 8 v
When I move the fan speed up and down it goes from 80 to 8

80 volts?

I have it set on 20v it reads 0.83 fan on lo 0.08 fan on hi

dc volts?

if you have the red lead in slot 30 and the black lead to a good ground, and thats what you are reading, then the fuse is bad or not pushed in all the way or the wire between the fuse and the relay slot 30 is open

Ok this truck been nothing but problems i bought it new with 6 miles on it one thing after another it only has 43,000 miles on it. It sits in my garage but with winter coming it’s good in the snow but with no heat now i don’t no what to do.

ok, and you are certain that the fuse for the blower motor is good?

i checked them 3x all the fuses are good they light up with the test light i pulled them to double check their good

do a continuity test of the wire from fuse 116(blower motor) to the blower motor relay wire in slot 30.

I’m sorry I don’t understand that.

ok, select ohms on your meter. put one lead in slot 30 of the blower motor relay plug. pull the fuse out. put the other lead on one of the metal contacts that the fuse plugs into. tell me what the meter reads.

hows it going?

I’m sorry my phone died

ok, well let me know how if the continuity is ok or not.

I have the red in 30 and do i test the relay for omes I’m sorry buddy I’m a roofer by trade

red in 30, the black in where the fuse goes.

Like how 1 did 30 and 27 but with the multimeter on omes.

no sir. pull the blower motor fuse out, if you look down inside there will be 2 metal contacts that the fuse slides into. put the black lead in one of them. then put the red lead in the relay plug in position 30. select ohms on the meter.

its 2 am here. I have to hit the sack. Ill be on in the morning around 9 est. let me know how it goes.

hows it going?

do you still need assistance? If not it would be nice to let me know. Thank you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician