Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 02 crown vic with 55k on it in the shop, it’s

Customer Question
spiking voltage when driven or...
I have an 02 crown vic with 55k on it in the shop, it’s spiking voltage when driven or revved up, i changed out the alternator and it is still doing the same thing, it puts out 19v at the alt. What else do i look for or is there a simple fix. Some say the ecm controls the voltage regulator, but the best i can find is that’s only on 03 and newer and police set ups, this car doesn’t have the police package.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/9/2017
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 6 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is***** me take a look at a wiring diagram, give me a few minutes thanks.

Ok on this year the regulator is built into the alt. First check the large cable and the yellow with white wire, you should have battery voltage here all the time key off. Let me know if there is power here. The light green with red should have battery voltage with key turned on. You may need to check voltage drops while the engine is running also, but I can tell you how to do that later, I will wait to hear if the power on the wires is ok first.

Ok I’ll let u know in the morning.
Ok, I am usually online in the evenings.
If I unplug the voltage regulator the system appear to work, I've got 14 coming out of the alt and 14 at the positive terminal unhooked from battery. As soon as plug up the regulator shit goes crazy how's this possible to seem to work correctly when unplugged.
Have you checked for voltage on the yellow with white wire?
Colors don’t match up

What are your colors?

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician