Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE wagon with basic 3.0 l engine.

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE wagon with basic 3.0 l engine. All of a sudden when turning right, it feels like there is no power steering - turning left feels fine as though the power steering is working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent - two years ago I had the rack & pinion unit replaced as well as the power steering pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far just test drove the car to confirm the steering issue - my wife was driving the car when it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thats the issue - turning to the right seems to have no power steering.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
11/8/2017
Ford Mechanic: karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician

Hello welcome to just answer I amCustomerand I will do my best to help diagnose the issue.

Is the fluid level and condition in the power steering pump ok, can you see any metal / glitter particles floating around at all, does the power steering pump make any noise when turning either direction, does it help at all to increase the engine rpm?

Fluid level in power steering tank is between the high & low marks - slightly below halfway and the fluid is dark but looks clean - no foam, etc. I don't see metal particles in the tank and the power steering pump does not make noise when turning in either direction. I have not tried to increase the engine RPM and turn the wheels lock to lock.

With the information you have provided, I suspect an internal problem with the rack and pinion pressure control valve. Rack and pinion will need replaced or warrantied .

Did you have any further questions , or did you replace the rack and pinion? Is the steering operation ok now?

karrs2fix
karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician