Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 mustang, speedometer not working or odometer, I bought…

Customer Question
2001 mustang, speedometer not...

2001 mustang, speedometer not working or odometer, I bought a new vehicle speed sensor, checked all fuses and connections, and still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

It is a magnic type sensor, and yes it appears the wire leading to the pigtail connector to the vss, is not getting any voltage I believe it should be 5 volts with the key turned to on, but I have no idea were that wire goes once it runs up toward the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried fuses, new sensor, new pigtail connector, inspected the wires it all looks fine, this just happened 4 days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
11/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

I believe the vss creates it's own voltage and sends this voltage to the pcm.

You should probably start by retrieving the codes from the pcm, then give the code or codes to me, then I could provide you with a troubleshooting guide for the code that refers to the vss.

Ok ya the code is p0722, also when I run a data log with my hand held tuner everything reads but the vss, reads 0.00

2001 Ford Mustang P0722.

Is this an auto or manual trans?

Is this a Hall Effect Type OSS or VR Type OSS?

It appears the second is supposed to be have voltage to it.

It's a gt, 4.6 2v sohc, Manuel 5 speed

Actually, it's the Hall Effect Type OSS that is supposed to have the 12 volts.

Yeah, this section is for the manual trans.

Ok ya I got a new vss and tried the key on test and it seems the wire to the sensor is not receiving any power is there a relay, or a fuse I am not seeing?

Is this the hall effect type oss or the vr type oss?

Did you perhaps buy the wrong type?

Is this maybe a GT or Cobra?

Yeah, it has got to be cause the 4.6 is one of those, the 3.8 was just for a plain mustang and that is what I looked up.

No it was the magnetic one looked exactly like the one I pulled out.

Is this a GT or Cobra?

Gt.

The gray/red is the signal return and the dark green/white is the OSS to PCM. I don't see where either should have 12 volts though. I would assume to one from the PCM may have 5 volts.

TJ9 CHECK OSS SIGNAL OUTPUT TO PCM, HALL TYPE OSS

• Disconnect PCM.

• Raise vehicle to allow rotation of the front drive wheel.

• Key on, transmission in neutral.

• Measure voltage between OSS+ and PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector while slowly

rotating the drive wheel.

Note: Opposite wheel must be held stationary.

• The voltage should rise above 5.0 volts and fall below 1.0 volts in a regular cycle. Observe several

cycles.

Does the OSS output voltage rise and fall as specified?

Yes

• REPLACE PCM (REFER to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory

(EEPROM) See: Programming and Relearning\Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only

Memory - Flash EEPROM).

No

• REPLACE OSS sensor. REFER to the diagnostic/repair information for manual transmissions.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Did you complete that last test yet?