Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My engine is a 70 302, was a 2bbl carb, now a 4bbl. engine…

Customer Question
My engine is a...

My engine is a 70 302, was a 2bbl carb, now a 4bbl. engine fires great, but after driving awhile, it wants to stall at idle slow braked

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

Miles are unknown, it's a ford(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '70 Ford?

Not applicable...it's now in a 1956 ford sedan delivery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Looking at the plugs now, it's running a autolite ap45

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yesw..I have a electric fuel pump, near the fuel tank on the frame rails, the engine was originally a 2bbl carb, is now changed to a 4bbl carb

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

How much fuel pressure does this electric fuel pump put out?

why did you opt me out? A carb is only supposed to have like 5psi and most electric fuel pumps put out a lot more, unless of course you already knew that and bought one that puts out 5 psi or hooked up an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

If the carb gets too much fuel pressure, it will knock the float needle off the seat and flood out.