Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Looking for the starter relay. Like 102,000 wont start at…

Looking for the starter...

Looking for the starter relay

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Like 102,000 wont start at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 F-150 Triton

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the battery, checked the starter, checked all the relays, checked all the fuses. Hooked a volt meter to the starter and no power at all. I just want to know where the starter relay is. I looked everywhere all over the firewall chased cable after cable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I really just want to know where the starter relay is so I can change it.

11/6/2017
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.
Is your truck a heritage or new style f 150? The round or square body style)
Its round I think.
Do you happen to have the vin available?
It is 1FTRF12W54NA08620
Ok just a moment

Ok, you have the newer style F-150. It does not use a remote starter relay like the picture you have. That part is integral to the starter itself.

There is an ISO relay in the central junction box, under the dash which is the starter relay.

Okay. I checked all the relays in the fuse box. However, the starter is still getting no power. What should I do?

Is the theft light flashing?

it is.

If the theft light flashes rapidly when you attempt to start the engine, then the PATS system is disabling engine start.

Do you have a spare key for the truck?

No spare key. I will try to start it to see if the light is flashing fast.
Theft light does not flash rapidly. It is just a solid light.
well it is a solid light when we try and start it.
Ok good. So you should have battery voltage available at the large red cable at the starter at all times, a good ground on the large black cable at the starter at all times, and power at the small red wire at the starter when the key is turned all the way to the start position. You’ll need an assistant to test this.
I tested this. I connected a voltmeter to the starter cables and grounded it. No volts were present. However, the red to ground had volts 12.68V.

Ok. Connect your black lead to the large black ground cable at the starter and touch the read lead of your meter to the starter where the small red wire attaches to it with the smaller 10mm nut. Have an assistant attempt to start the engine with the key and check the voltage

No voltage.

In the fuse panel in the instrument panel, locate the starter relay in the illustration I posted. Switch it with the relay below it (abs) and try again

I have switched all the relays in every combination possible and nothing.

Ok. Does your truck have an aftermarket alarm system?

No it doesn't.

Have you tried turning the key to the run position, foot on the brake, and shifting the transmission into neutral? Will it start that way?

6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
I have tried that as well. Also, I jiggled the key thinking maybe it was a lose key ignition wire.