Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Coolant doesn't appear to be fillinup radiator to cool it…

Coolant doesn't appear to...

Coolant doesn't appear to be fillinup radiator to cool it off from the reservoir. When

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

As a result, it sounds like it works hard and gets hot for a quick moment when it gets low. I've replaced the thermostat and breathed through the tube to the coolant reserve, those are fine. 200k miles but the engine has about half that, it was a replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Mileage is normal for an 07 Ford Explorer 6 cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the thermostat, coolant flush, disconnected tube to reserve blow through it to check if there's blockage...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I have... it seems to not be drawing in coolant from the reserve to cool off the radiator. When I take the cap off when it's got ant working hard the collect is low in the radiator, I fill it up the. It's fine for a day or two. I don't see any leaks.

11/1/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing great! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you today.

It sounds to me like the water pump has started to lose efficiency. If there are no leaks at the radiator and if the thermostat is operating properly then the last option is going to be a weak water pump. If you are able to I would recommend replacing the pump and bleeding the cooling system, this should take care of the issue and get the system back to the proper efficiency.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this :)

I was having a suspicion about the water pump but wasn't sure how much pressure that had in the cycle. What would be an indicator the radiator was going?
Would there be any concern with the belt being tight enough even though it has a tensioner?

If the radiator was failing you would see leaks/corrosion at the sealing surfaces. A bad radiator would not cause a filling issue unless it had a crushed coolant passage, but at that point you would be able to see impact marks on the radiator.

A loose belt could cause slowed down pump performance. If you suspect that the belt is loose then try to get that tightened up and monitor operation. If it still does the same thing then the pump will be the next step

I will try those steps! Worst case, a head gasket wouldn't cause this?

Ok great.

That would be absolute worst case scenario. If the head gasket was out you would also have a rough running engine along with white smoke in the exhaust

Awesome, that's definitely not it, engine sounds good! Thanks so much!

That is awesome news.

You are very welcome, let me know if you have any more questions later on and I will be happy to assist you further.

I would be very grateful if you could take a minute to leave me a positive review, as that is how I am compensated for my time :) Have a great night!

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician