Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I need to add coolant to my 2001 ford escape. the color I

have is green but it...
I need to add coolant to my 2001 ford escape. the color I have is green but it looks red when we change the radiator and hooked everything back up
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 163000
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my husband is we have just installed a new radiator when we hooked everything back up the red mixture went in the overflow
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
10/31/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, your vehicle takes long life coolant which is red in color. While you can mix a small amount of the green(pint or less) in an emergency, when doing this type of repair where you will be adding 1/2 gallon or more, you need to stick with the long life coolant. Otherwise the boiling and freezing points of it will be greatly reduced as well as causing potential issues with water pump failure.

If you have already added the green coolant, then you will need to drain and refill with proper coolant

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband will be replacing the water pump tomorrow along with replacing the green antifreeze. Our main concern was that the previous mechanic hooked the hoses up incorrectly which maybe a potential problem. Therefore, my husband believe or thought that due to the hoses being hooked up wrong that it was transmission fluid filling up the overflow container. So at this time I will have more questions possibly tomorrow. In the meantime I am pleased with the response thus far. We just need additional assistance.

HI,

No problem and I will be here all day tomorrow for any followup.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager