Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 95 250 with a manifold exhaust leak that i had

I have a 95...

I have a 95 250 with a manifold exhaust leak that i had repaired once but is back.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Don't drive it much getting ready to sell. What hoses?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just had it diagnosed looking for options.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vehicle chugs intermittently like it has an ignition or fuel problem.

10/25/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

How long did it take for the exhaust leak to come back again?

Let me know,thanks Pete

don't know exactly but not that long.
just wondering if there is a fix other than manifold replacement.

O.k.,most likely when it was repaired a gasket was installed.The problem is that the exhaust manifolds tend to warp and although the gasket will usually seal up the leak temporarily it will soon blow out again.The exhaust manifold sealing face needs checked to make sure it is level.If it is warped in any way then it needs replaced as well as a new gasket installed.I suspect it will be warped.

The only other alternative I have seen some do is install 2 gaskets in this area but these will also soon blow out again as the exhaust heat and pressure burns through the gasket when there is a warping issue.

What happens with a leak like this is cold air can also enter the exhaust causing the oxygen sensors to read incorrectly which can lead to engine running issues like you see here.

I would focus on repairing the leak to see if this resolves all of the issues here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician