Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Service engine light just came on and engine stalls at an

idle JA: Do you have the...
Service engine light just came on and engine stalls at an idle
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I'm sure there is a trouble code and no I don't have a code reader or scanner
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2010 f-150 FX4
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked on light an the first thing mentioned was check the fuses. They all look fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: First noticed this issue after I filled the tank and the truck was hard to restart. Seemed like it wasn't getting fuel.
10/24/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the usual causes for an engine to stall at an idle after it has warmed up?

If problem started after filling tank this points toward a problem with the purge valve. The purge valve allows fuel vapor back into engine for emission purposes, if it is allowing too much fuel vapor back into engine it can cause stalling. You can completely disconnect valve to see if stalling stops if so replace. If that doesn't help you will want to start by having diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. Here is a picture, let me know if you have questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without any additional fes. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ks3ajqsc3wl2tm/purgev.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it only do this after the engine has warmed up?

The engine usually runs at higher rpm when cold so can handle a higher fuel mixture, the other thing that comes to mind is leaking intake gaskets which would set lean codes such as P0171 or P0174. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Engine has never been disassembled so a leaking intake gasket shouldn't be the cause. First thought was a plugged fuel filter but after reading up it seems fords have a life time filter.

Intake gaskets are fairly common on this engine to fail and they leak without disassembling. I would disconnect purge valve to see if that helps if not check diagnostics and go from there. Let me know how it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have no more questions. Seems you have given me a pretty thorough answer to my problem. Thanks for the help.

No problem, I'm happy to help. You can reply at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Issue seems to have disappeared for now. Will monitor this closely and if anything else pops up I will get a hold of you. Again, thanks for all your assistance on this matter.

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks.

Dan, Technician