Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 7.3 pwr. Stroke rough Idle SES light on and off...

2001 7.3 pwr. Stroke...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent but getting worse has pcm codes P1316,0470 and 0478....

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Ford?

F350 XLT 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Most likely.... Did buzz test and #5 faulted in a high to low failure... Checked manifold temps passenger side is 60 deg F cooler,,,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes have replaced driver side valve cover gasket and injector loom.... cause it had failed before similar symptoms.

10/20/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, since you replaced the valve cover harness does it still have the same codes stored after you cleared them? It only idles rough and is ok while driving or its running like you have a dead miss? You didnt change the injectors or the injector orings? Is it using oil or coolant?

I didn't replace the harness on this side (passenger) I did the quarter fix.... I did a harness replacement on the other side ( driver) the quarter fix worked on that side also for about 10 yrs. but the gasket lock loop snapped.. about 6 months ago and I went ahead and replace the gasket and harness on the drivers side... I ordered enough parts to do both sides...
My initial diag. was a failed buzz test on cyl. #5 and codes P1316, P0470 and P0478.... The drivability initially was no SES and roughness on start.. After short distance the SES would light and rough Idle.... This would clear on it's own or after restart... This was an intermittent occurrence and lately happens every day.. Once the SES cleared itself it would run fine for the day..... But now the SES is lit and the rough idle is constant...My repairs so far is that once I pulled the intercooler pipe and the battery I noticed the plug on the truck side of the valve cover had broken wire insulation on several of the conductors (wire exposed).... I ordered these plugs several years ago cause I found out they were a common failure Item... I have since replace that plug using solder and heat shrink... The issue did not clear, SES and rough Idle are still with me... I shut down work as it was getting dark... Today I had another appt. to keep. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the valve cover and verifying the under cover plug... And will replace the loom and gasket not matter what.... The truck hasn't used any oil or coolant and doesn't smoke.... It has 140k on it and has been well maintained.. It's a 2001... My question is this; a friend had a 6.0 with the same symptoms when we ran the buzz test similar results different cyl. But the audio had 9 pluses no difference in volume for the last eight.. Just like mine with the SES and rough Idle intermittently, after he replaced several injectors same issue... We smelled a rat... His wife took it to the dealership when he was out of town and they told her all the injectors needed replacement... We finally though could it be the FICM and swapped with another truck.... problem cleared ....

The 7.3 and the 6.0 are totally different . Not the same in testing procedures. Im not sure what else you are asking me?

If and when I get down to the injector how will I know it's the problem and not the FICM. How do I verify the injector has failed and the FICM didn't just shut it down.....

Ok, the 7.3 uses an IDM, the 6.0 uses a FICM ( same thing but different in how it works( very different ). P0470 & P0478 are are for the EBP sensor. The p1316 code you would need to run through the diagnostic trouble code to verify if its a wiring issue, a faulty idm or a bad injector. Do you need the pinpoint test?

thanks the pinpoint test would be great

Attached is the complete test. Start from FJ9 for this code.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans