Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2005 ford f-350 6.0 diesel black smoke under light

acceleration under full throttle runs...
2005 ford f-350 6.0 diesel black smoke under light acceleration under full throttle runs fine had both fuel filters replaced truck has good fuel pressue 65 to 70 pds had turbo replaced a bit ago looking for help w problem truck has 281200 miles
10/18/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you doing great today! My name is***** am a Ford master technician and would be happy to assist you with this today.

Does the truck have a check engine light illuminated? If so, we will need to get the codes read. If no check engine light then we will have to do a few manual inspections.

First thing that needs to be inspected is the EGR valve. The 6.0 engine is notorious for plugging the EGR valve, when this happens you will see a lot of black smoke until the throttle is almost wide open

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no light on

Ok, then we will not worry about that.

I would start by removing and inspecting/cleaning the EGR valve, we need to make sure it is moving freely and not plugged up

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok ill do that guy have 6.0 bullet prof done not sure it has egr cooler any more ill look

Yeah it will not be the cooler causing this, but the EGR valve

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pulled egr valve ok

Did you monitor movement with the valve out or just inspect visual condition?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we decarbon engine w bg products and its been working fine every since we did that

Ok that is great news! BG has some pretty top notch chemicals, glad you were able to get it taken care of!

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician