Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

On a 2008 6.4 powerstroke, ran perfect then started smoking

Second opinion] on a 2008...
Second opinion] on a 2008 6.4 powerstroke, ran perfect then started smoking slightly and missing a bit, no hard knock or anything, was showing code for cyl 8, turned inj off & on with scanner and it didn't do anything... so I was going to replace inj but did a quick compression test and gauge won't even lift. put my finger on GP hole and very little pressure. rockers move fine. can a piston blow out totally without sounds? It did also dump a pile of coolant out the rad cap then as well that hadn't before. But the cap doesn't hold pressure when I tested it. So can a HG blow out in a way to cause it or a piston toast? Rest on that side have 200psi across the board... Is there any chance that a valve or HG can cause all these issues?? I don't want to pull the head in the truck if theres no chance of it being hgs or valves. I want to rather then pull the whole engine.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2017
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is most likely the headgaskets, 200 on the others is also low, but the HG can also cause this, what color was the smoke when it was running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
light colored.

then this would be coolant,you have a bad headgasket, and as yo know, these have a very common problem with blowing the head gaskets,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
True.... Thanks!

Anytime my friend,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH