Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2011 f150 key will not come out of ignition. How do l get

Customer Question
2011 f150 key will...
2011 f150 key will not come out of ignition
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: How do l get key out
JA: What can I say?
Customer: You got any tips you could give me on how to remove ignition switch from my f150
JA: What can I say?
Customer: Key will not turn completely off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
10/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 month ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Can you define this a little bit more? Does the key rotate to full start and back to off, but key is jammed or the key won't turn to completely to off position?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Key will start vehicle but will not rotate all the way back to off position. Ran battery down overnight.

That sounds like the switch might be jammed up or the rod that goes from the tumbler to the switch.

I you can, remove the plastic at the bottom of the steering wheel, then you will see the switch with the 2 screws holding it in. Remove them, then see if you can turn the tumbler. If so, then the switch needs to be replaced. If not, then there is an issue in that rod.

If it is the rod, then follow up that rod and see if you can see any pieces of plastic from those little slides that the rod moves on. They will occasionally break and get jammed in there.

Please let me know what you find.

Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 9 days ago

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?

Jeremy
Jeremy