Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Ford F-350 4wd currently having two separate…

I have a 2004 Ford...
I have a 2004 Ford F-350 4wd currently having two separate issues which I doubt it, but could end up coordinating between one another. First of all I got this truck as a trade in therefore I'm not to familiar with its past but here we go. First of all the speedometer gauge isn't working and the miles aren't changing its stuck at 130,331. Second problem is the engine idles rough and when you put it in drive and press the gas pedal it has no power like if I had the E-Brake on once it gets further on down the road it will run normally
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/17/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • INFORMATION, I have no magic ball, please give me all the details you can.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What liter engine?

Any warning lights on or codes stored?

Is it taking off in 1st or a higher gear?

Does the cruise control work?

6.0L
No check engine light
No cruise
And no it starts in 1st I strongly believe

Your vehicle does not have cruise or the cruise control does not work?

Will your scan tool perform and injector buzz test and power balance test?

A while back I had a 6.4 L that had a similar similar issue to this it ended up being the secondary fuel pump only difference is the 6.4 would only do it after haven drove it for a little bit

I'm not 100% sure whether it has cruise control I'm sure it does but the light the light isnt lit up. No I only have a generic scan tool

Beyond 1st gear does it shift correct or erratic?

It's shifts correct I would say has typical slight jerk that you can feel

Since the transmission shifts correct. that mean the computer is getting a speed signal. We are stuck at this point due to you not having a good enough scan tool to see if the instrument cluster is bad or to see if the instrument cluster is not getting a speed signal.

We also need a better scan tool to see if the rough idle is due to a weak injector.

The low power on take off may be a concern with soot build up inside the turbo preventing the variable vanes from adjusting.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I'll tell you what scan tool I have tomorrow it reads ABS/SRS and stuff It do what we need
If it had a bad injector it would surely throw a check engine light wouldn't it ?

A check engine light is going to come on when a concern affects emissions. So an injector working partially or not at 100% will not affect emissions it has to be not working at all to affect emissions.

Is a dirty filter or bad pump out of the equation ?

I would expect concerns beyond 1st gear and through all rpms if either of those were to blame as well as a starting issue.

True

Keep in touch as needed.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Thanks for responding so quick even at this time. I'll need your help tomorrow

Sounds good.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician