Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Wlhen applying brakes Brake pedal initially hard to

push...once it lets go then...
Wlhen applying brakes Brake pedal initially hard to push...once it lets go then pedal goes down by itself to apply brakes....then to release must put toe under brake pedal to pull upwards. Then it is okay. Everytime brake is applied this is repeated. Happens whether truck is moving or stationery.
1996 Ford f250 4x4 3/4 ton ..460 gas engine..auto transmission.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Have you done anything to the brake yet to try and solve this?

Bled the master cylinder

I think I would look at the brakes all around to be honest. It sounds like either the brake pads are frozen in the caliper brackets or there is an issue with the rear shoes coming back. Possibly weak springs on the shoes isn't pulling it back after the wheel cylinder goes out. Or the calipers are a bit frozen, especially the sliders. The pedal should come back up because of the pressure coming back into the master cylinder. If that's not happening then it sounds like the pressure isn't being released after you take your foot off the brake.

The brake booster might do this, but ordinarily you should hear a vacuum leak down by the booster if this is the cause.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Sorry, I am not able to call at this time.

Please read my reply above.

Thank you.

Thank you.

You are very welcome, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Kindly remember to rate my answer as well.

Thank you.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started