Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 7.3l has been starting but running bad with some Blue…

2001 7.3l has been starting...
2001 7.3l has been starting but running bad with some Blue exhaust smoke. After engine warms up it runs great. Thought maybe the glow plug relay was bad. Ordered one offline and waiting fo it to come in. Yesterday the truck did not start but was quite a it colder this did not surprise me. I plugged the truck in and headed out of town. This morning the truck would not start. Truck was still plugged in. After long cranks it would finally start. Run rough and die. I put a meter on the glow plug relay and have voltage when key is tuned on but before it clicks the voltage drops to zero. Could this still be the glow plug solenoid?
10/16/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • INFORMATION, I have no magic ball, please give me all the details you can.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Is the blue smoke just on startup or until the engine warns up about 15 minutes?

Have you tested your glow plugs to see if they all are getting power and all will heat up?

Usually until it warms up. Testing glow plugs now.
Glow plugs should be around .8 ohms? I’m showing continuity?

Is the oil level going down over the course of an oil change interval?

Have you checked the fuel filter housing for what appears to be oil in the fuel?

Any signs of oil in the pipes to and from the turbo?

Typical resistance value of a good glow plug and wiring is 1 ohm, plug power wire to engine ground

Ok. So just had the truck in for service at ford last week. So I ASSumed that the oil was fine. How ever it was 6 quarts low. Am I looking at a turbo?

Low oil means you are using oil. This to blame could be:

Excessive blow by, remove the oil cap and lay it on the oil fill at an angle, it should not blow off

turbo seals, check the pipes for oil in them on the intake and exhaust side

Injector Orings, check for oil in the fuel in the filter bowl

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Thanks. Oil cap did say fine over the fill port.
A buddy stopped over with autoenginuity and cylinder contribution test shows P0284 cylinder 8 injector circuit contribution/balance vault?
Truck is running so wanted to run some tests with the computer before shutting down.
KOER test preformed successful.

I can see the injector causing a miss and black smoke but not blue. We need to check the fuel filter and turbo next.

Thanks for your help. Will have to do that tomorrow. Need to get to class now.

You are welcome

there’s definitely oil in the fuel bowl

Oil in the fuel. I would replace the injector seals and check the injector sleeves/cups for any damage.

How would you suggest to evacuate the fuel and oil from cylinder? Any way to narrow down what ones are bad? Besides popping them all out?

Remove the glow plug and crank the engine and that will blow out any fluids in the cylinder.

You can start with number 8 and give it a shot, beyond that unless one cylinder has less power than the others, it is hard to determine which is to blame

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician