Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Potential ground problem on the left side of my truck. Left…

Potential ground problem on the...
Potential ground problem on the left side of my truck. Left front blinker works when stalk is put into left turn mode, but the rear four way flashers come on both sides in the back. Upon stepping on the brake the blinker light on the dash locks up as does the rear right & left and overhead brake light and left front blinker. The right front blinker is not affected, it behaves normally both front and back when put into right turn mode on the stalk. Replaced the stalk three months back when I installed new HID headlights and developed a low beam fuse short right after install as mentioned below. I have replaced the brake pedal switch, the under dash flasher and a what appears to be a burnt brake light 3 terminal socket in the left rear. The new socket resolved nothing, but the burnt old socket is a suspect. These problems followed some 3 months after installation of new HID headlights which developed a low beam short on the left / drivers side shortly after install. Maybe related?? I have not replaced the dash light switch which is my last suspect here. The truck has 330k and rust on the undercarriage.
I put in my question last night at 8:57, no response yet.
10/16/2017
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, what did you do to resolve the short issue on the headlight or is still present??

did you replace the rear socket??? that sounds like your issue in the rear end but yes, the issue with the front can be related

Roy

the headlight short is still an issue. I did replace the rear socket on the drivers side. As burnt as it was it appeared to still be working
I did have a worn out steering wheel turn signal stalk that allowed for an inbetween with the hi and low bearm that gave me a third choice of both hi and low beams on together, Replaced the stalk 3 months ago with the new HID headlamps

did you check the rear bulbs??? make sure that they are not shorted. like a burned element.

let me get a diagram

Roy

did you replace the multifunction switch in the column??? the stalk is the activator not the switch

Roy

diagram

please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. it is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
I called it the stalk, yes I replaced the whole switch. Replaced rear bulb on the left, perhaps I should do the right rear one

thank you

yes, start there. if that does not resolve it then you need to address the short in the front headlight.

Roy

The right rear bulb was burnt at the base as was the socket, replaced the bulb and four ways still flashing with left blinker on. Going to NAPA to get a new socket, which was also burnt. Strange that it was functioning through the four ways.

keep me updated

Replaced the right rear socket and bulb. No change. The right blinker works both front and back, no four way flasher triggered. The left front blinker goes on solid when the brake is depressed without the blinker being activated. The left front work fine when the blinker is on, but the whole rear is in four way flasher mode. Stepping on the brake locks the front blinker on and locks up the four way in the back

have you changed the turn signal switch??? the only connection now is the brake light wire goes through the switch. if there is a issue inside the switch it will happen just on the left side

Roy

You mean the multifucntion switch on the steering column?

that is correct

Roy

it was replaced 3 months ago, perhaps it is defective?
It seems odd that the front blinker light comes on solid when the brakes are depressed. Do I assume correctly that all brake, blinker and headlamp electrical circuits are connected to the multifunction switch in a circuit loop of sorts?

yes that is correct check the connector to the switch as well.

Roy

Roy
Thank you for the poke, got sidetracked with family. The multifuction switch indeed was the gremlin.Great call. Installed it three months ago and it came with a lifetime warranty, new one for free, problem solved. Well, mostly. The tail lights blinkers behave but the left front headlight is a bugaboo still. That problem existed prior to the multifuction switch install 3 months back. Short of it being a grounding issue could the dashboard headlight switch be a suspect?Thanks

your welcome

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest