Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have an 02’ f350 7.3 powerstroke Truck starts fine but

Customer Question
I have an 02’ f350...
I have an 02’ f350 7.3 powerstroke
Truck starts fine but shortly after driving loses fuel pressure dropping from 60 to 0?
I just put in a new fuel pump and I can hear it kick on so I know that’s working.
Just curious what could be causing my loss of fuel pressure?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Ford
10/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • INFORMATION, I have no magic ball, please give me all the details you can.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Where are you taking your pressure reading from?

Once it stalls does it start right back up and continue down the road a bit?

When you lose pressure is the pump still getting good ground and power?

I assume this occurs with the fuel level above 1/2 tank?

My current thoughts are there are debris in the tank, packing the pickup and preventing the pump on the frame rail from sucking up fuel, then the pump power is off when restarting and the debris fall off the pickup.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m reading fuel pressure from gauges mounted on back side of the fuel bowl.
Once it stalls it does not start back up because it is blowing the fuel pump fuse.
Ground is good but I lose power of course because the fuse is blowing.
Tank is 3/4 to almost full
I have cleaned strainer and pick up but still blowing fuse. Fuse #40

Since it is blowing the fuse, that means there is a short to ground in your fuel pump wiring. The pumps power wire is touching the chassis or another wire (ground) and this is causing the pump fuse to fail. You can visually inspect this wire beginning to end or while running wiggle the harness to make the fuse fail which will indicate where the short is. Running a new wire is also an option though always not needed.

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 29 days ago

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sorry do u know where the fuel pump relay is located i am getting a code for that. If thats bad could that cause it to blow the fuse?

The fuel pump relay is built into the fuse box under the dash and it is not serviceable. It is very rare for the relay or the fuse box to blow the #40 fuse. A short in the wiring after the fuse box to the pump or a bad pump is normally to blame.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician