Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition and I have been having trouble

Hello, my name is***** have...
Hello, my name is***** have a 2000 Ford Expedition and I have been having trouble with it turning on lately. I took it to an auto repair show and they were unable to recreate the problem or repair it. It is intermittent so it has made it somewhat difficult to get repaired. I will try to explain what is going on in the best way I can. When I try to turn the truck on, it will fire up just fine but as it begin to settle down into it's normal idle mode, it does not stop and simply keep turning down until it shuts off. It seems like it might not be passing gas or something. It will remain on as long as I have my foot on the gas and feeding it some gas slightly. As soon as I release the gas, the truck shuts off. It will eventually turn on and remain on after many attempts. Any ideas or help with this would be appreciated. Thank You.
10/15/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Has anything been replaced yet on your truck to try and fix this problem?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return. Be sure to please take a quick moment and rate my assistance by clicking the stars above. Thank you for rating and for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not believe so.

Ok. There is a part called the Idle Air Control Valve on your expedition that is common to cause this concern. The IAC is what allows air to bypass the throttle body for the engine to idle. When it fails, the engine will not idle on its own, but will run all day as long as your foot is on the gas. I suggest you replace that to start with. Or at least install a known good one to see if that takes care of it.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back here to this chat. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, thank you so much for this info. We are going to ask someone to please recheck our car next week and share this information with them. Again, thank you for your help with this. Do I need to do anything further on this site. What do I do to make sure you get paid?

You are very welcome. I would just appreciate if you could give me a 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top of the chat. That will give me credit for helping. Thanks.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician