Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 ford taurus: I was driving down the road when the car…

1999 ford taurus:...

1999 ford taurus: I was driving down the road when the car just stopped moving but the engine was still running. I turned the car odd. waited a few monutes, turned it over and it ran fine to the near gas station. It had enough gas, I was just making sure there was enough to go a longer distance. After filling it , it drove the 3 miles back to the house with no problem. What could it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It wouldn't start a few days ago but then my son cleaned the contacts on the start relay switch and it started right up. I don't think it is eating gas more than usual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have not tried anything yet. My husband did notice that the power steering fluid needed changing so he did that but otherwise nothing else yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO. OK, how do i fill out the donation?

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2017
eric remington

Hello my name is ***** ***** to help..../so the transmission was not working is what it sounds like...

a​t the need when we figure this out all you have to do is rate my answer and we will be good

did the gas station have a mechanic on duty? someone there to check the transmission fluid?

No, it was a self service station.
I can't do the call me; I am on hold with Family assistance. Sorry.

ok so the engine was running and you had it in drive? correct? Its an automatic transmission?

I understand I should be able to help you doing the chat which we are doing now

automatic transmission. Yes, I had it in drive.

Do you know where the transmission fluid dipstick is

If I check it, what should it look like?

Is this the first time you have had this problem? does vehicle have any lights coming on dash

ok so you will check the transmission fluid when engine is already warm....

It is the first time this has happened. Yes the check engine light came on and the dash lights stayed on.
OK I will do that (check transmission fluid when engine is warm).

ok so leave the engine running in park. The transmission fluid dipstick is in the back of engine compartment. you will see two dipsticks: one is close to radiator the other one is close to the back of engine compartment

OK. I will let you know what I find.

with engine running, leave transmission in park, take out dipstick and wipe off fluid with a paper towel or rag....next put dipstick back in tube....then pull it out again and ck it and see where the fluid level is

ok.

if transmission fluid is low. you will need to add mercon type transmission fluid .go autozone or advance if you don't have a funnel. when checking fluid level the flyuid level should be in the crosshatched part of stick. if fluid is low add to it and if its really low take it to a mechanic to find leak

if transmission fluid is ok you will need to take it to a mechanic. alos you need to have the yellow light checked out. you can take it to advance or autozone to tell you why yellow light on

Still letting engine warm up.

if fluid is not low take it to a mechanic. also go to auto zone to find out why yellow light is on but remember they are not mechanics

you may rate me at any time

eric remington
ok, thanks!
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington