Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Ford escape and every time I press on the

Customer Question
I have a 2013...
I have a 2013 Ford escape and every time I press on the breaks it's makes a fluttering vibrating noise.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
10/13/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is it sound like a fart? (we call that the abs fart)

Not really, it's an annoying fluttering noise that vibrates and you can hear it which makes passengers nervous.

can you fell it through the breal pedal? do the pedal want to kickback?

you can feel it through the pedal… Not sure about the kickback.

is it a fast vibrating flutter?

No.

ok then is it a pulsation?

Sorry, it is a vibrating flutter which is what I said before.

ok, then you have unwanted abs activation. the wheel speed sensors need removed and cleaned and reinstalled.

That makes no sense. The abs indicator lights does not come on and neither does the brake lights.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

HI there

New expert here.

Does the noise come from the front or rear of the car?

Also, does it happen just before the car actually stops? Or as soon as you press the brakes?

It's coming from the front of the car… The brakes, and it happens as soon as I put my foot on the break.

Ok, sorry for the delay in my reply I stopped to take a dinner brake.

It sounds like you have a problem with the front rotors being warped. Usually the false abs activation happens just before you come to a stop. This won't turn on the abs or brake light because even though there is false activation, as far as the abs computer is concerned, it's doing it's job of an abs stop.

There isn't a lot up there that would make any kinds of noise, but if the front rotors are warped it can cause some noise up there. I would have the brakes inspected, not just that the pads are thick enough, but also make sure there isn't any issue with the caliper sliders or the brake pads being frozen in the caliper brackets. This can and will cause the rotors to overheat and warp.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!