Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2000 F150 LARIAT LOW BRAKE PEDAL. BY MYSELF NEW FRONT BRAKE

2000 F150 LARIAT LOW BRAKE...
2000 F150 LARIAT LOW BRAKE PEDAL
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES BY MYSELF NEW FRONT BRAKE PADS
JA: How old are the rotors? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: OLD ROTORS 200.000 PLUS BRAKE PEDAL USEDTO GO DOWN FAR UNTIL THE TRUCK WAS STARTED AND PUT INTO GEAR AT WHICH TIME THE PEDAL WOULD COME UP AND BE STRONG NOW IT DOES NOT COME UP LIKE IT USED TO STAYS LOW
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/9/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

If you press the pedal two times does it feel better?
Also, did you open the bleeder screws when you pushed the pistons back?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PUMPING THE PEDAL DOES NOTHING YES BLEEDER SCREWS WERE OPENED

Ok

I would check and make sure the sliders are working properly. If they are seized up then the pedal will be low because only one side of the caliper is doing the job.

If they are working freely like they should, then the next step would be to put line locks on the rubber hoses. Then press the pedal and see if it's hard. If the pedal is hard, then take them off one at a time. When the pedal drops, concentrate on that caliper. Bleed it and double check the brake pads. Sometimes if they hang up you will get a low pedal as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WHAT ARE THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS ON THE MASTER CYL FOR

The electric on the master is for the brake fluid sensor. This tells you when the brake fluid is low. Then there are other connectors on the abs module, but if you don't have a brake or abs light on, this is a mechanical issue, not an electrical issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WHEN THE SYSTEM IS WORKING RIGHT YOU WOULD START THE THE TRUCK AND THE PEDAL WOULD AUTOMATICALL Y COME UP TO FULL PEDAL WHAT CAUSED THIS TO HAPPEN

Usually vacuum in the brake booster would do that. When it's running it get's vacuum to it.

Unless it has adjustable petals, but I don't think it was an option on that year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN WHEN THE SYSTEM WORKED WAS I STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND IT WOULD GO WAY DOWN THEN I WOULD START THE THE TRUCK AND PUT IT INTO GEAR AND THE PEDAL WOULD COME UP TO FULL PEDAL WOULD AIR IN THE SYSTEM CAUSE THIS

Usually if you have air in the system, you can pump the brake pedal and the pressure will get better. If you can't pump the pedal to get it any harder I don't believe you have air in the lines.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WHAT I AM ASKING YOU IS DID FORD HAVE SOME SORT OF SYSTEM ELECT OR MECH THAT KEPT YOU FROM HAVING A FULL BRAKE PEDAL UNTIL YOU STARTED THE ENGINE AND PUT THE TRUCK INTO GEAR OR COULD I BE HAVING A MASTER CYL PROBLEM

It doesn't have any kind of mechanical issue that would bring the pedal up other then getting vacuum to the power brake booster. You could be having a master cylinder issue. Line locking the brake hoses would tell you that. If you start it with the line locks on and there isn't any difference, then the issue is with the master cylinder. My pedal on my 07 F150 does the same thing. The truck brakes fine, but the pedal does come up a bit when I start it. As for it having anything to do with putting it into gear, it does not.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician