Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004, f150, 5.4 engine two wheel drive. The transmission…

Customer Question
2004, f150, 5.4 engine...

2004, f150, 5.4 engine two wheel drive. The transmission slips at around 45 mph as if it shifted into neutral, when it slows down to around 20-25 mph the power returns. Just changed fluid and filter and found no metal pieces in the pan. fluid was a little dark but did not smell burnt.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is original and was not leaking. the filter and fluid was changed around 100,000 miles and now is at 193,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just changed the filter and fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is not reporting any codes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
10/10/2017
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 7 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, this is most likely an issue with the overdrive servo piston having a broken clip.The od servo applies the overdrive band. While driving when it slips to neutral if you turn the od button off, it should go back into gear. The valve body would need to be removed to get to the od servo. The snap ring that holds it in the transmission case has a piece that breaks off and it floats into the valve body and hangs the od valve open, causing the neutral issue. That or the od servo c clip breaks on it. If the od servo clip isnt broken, then its further in the transmission with the direct clutch drum smoked. An overhaul at that point.

If you need more help or information for this concern please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans