Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Its a 97 f-150 4.2 6 cyl. i had a leaking water pump. a

its a 97 f-150 4.2...
its a 97 f-150 4.2 6 cyl. i had a leaking water pump. a small section of gasket broke out and it was leaking there. i changed the pump. it was a nightmare job. after 2 days of leak free engine i started to see a leak on the left side of the motor near the alternator. a shop told me the timing cover gasket was leaking since doing the water pump. how is that possible
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: it is water. the coolant tank empties in a few miles and it took 2 gallons of water. it's the left side. i cant see where it comes from but it drips down onto the frame below the engine.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have tried to keep my cool. the water pump was a nightmare to change. after 2 days the coolant started leaking
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: a shop told me that its typical on ford 4.2 to develop a leak after changing the water pump and the timing cover gasket was the culprit
10/9/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Unfortunately the shop is very likely correct, its common for the timing covers to leak on the 4.2 engine. It is also very likely it was leaking before the water pump was replaced.

my gut tells me you are right but my finances are in the toilet so i was hoping you would have told me something else. its a big job to me to get the timing cover off and i'm really a wreck now. the water pump took so much out of me and now i have to do it again and more. thanks ron for your answer. is there anything else i'm able to get for that charge, like a few more answers.
i'm going to stop here. i cant afford to continue. im really broke.

Im here as long as you need me, if you need the timing cover removal steps when your able to do this I can provide them for you as well. You are only charge the one price once you rate my service.

i am going to stop here. thank you.

No problem, if you decide you need the replacement steps, post back and I can send then for you.

ok, thanks for that. i had to call customer service because i thought i was going to keep getting charged every time i reply to you.
they assured me i wouldnt.
i dont know what you will send me but im sure i can use any info you give

They are correct, you are only charged the one time fee after you rate my service. See the link below for the timing cover removal steps . Its a fairly big job as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqnne1808n931ti/timing%20cover%20Oct%209.pdf?dl=0

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician